Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management (114th Congress)
Membership 114th Congress
Subcommittee Ranking Member
Indiana ~ 07
District of Columbia ~ 00
New Jersey ~ 08
Maryland ~ 04
Nevada ~ 01
Oregon ~ 04
Pennsylvania ~ 11
Arkansas ~ 01
Pennsylvania ~ 04
Pennsylvania ~ 06
Virginia ~ 10
Florida ~ 26
North Carolina ~ 07
Pennsylvania ~ 09
The Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management is responsible for the authorization and oversight of federal real estate programs, including construction, repair, alteration, maintenance, and enhancement of such real property; the authorization and oversight of programs promoting economic development in communities suffering economic distress; the authorization and oversight of programs addressing the federal management of emergencies and disasters; and a variety of measures affecting homeland security, including the all-hazards nature of the federal response to disasters and the Federal Protective Service.
The asset management activities of the Subcommittee jurisdiction include: improved grounds of the United States, generally, and measures relating to the Public Buildings Service (PBS) of the General Services Administration (GSA)—the civilian landlord of the federal government—including the planning, site and design, construction, acquisition, and renovation of public buildings, courthouses, and border facilities, and the leasing of space for federal employees; the physical plant and infrastructure of the Capitol Complex and use of the Capitol Grounds; the facilities of the White House complex; the facilities of the Smithsonian Institution, including all new and proposed facilities; facilities of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts; Union Station Redevelopment; Judiciary Centers; measures relating to the location, use, accessibility, energy conservation, security, health and safety, and transfer or exchange of federal buildings; and the naming of federal buildings and courthouses.
The economic development activities of the Subcommittee include jurisdiction over the Economic Development Administration (EDA) of the Department of Commerce, the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC), the Denali Commission, the Delta Regional Authority (DRA), the Northern Great Plains Regional Authority, the Southeast Crescent Regional Commission, the Southwest Border Regional Commission, and the Northern Border Regional Commission.
The Subcommittee’s jurisdiction of federal management of emergencies and natural disasters includes Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) oversight and activities relating to disaster mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery, as well as programs relating to first responders. These activities are authorized by the Stafford Act, the Homeland Security Act of 20002, Title VI of the Homeland Security Appropriations Act of 2007, and the “Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act” (PKEMRA). The Subcommittee is also responsible for the all-hazards nature of the National Preparedness System (“NPS”) and a national preparedness goal that is consistent with the National Incident Management System (“NIMS”) and the National Response Framework (“NRF”). These programs, plans, and directives form the basis of the national approach to emergency preparedness and response.
- Jan 27, 2015 : HEARING: “Rebuilding After the Storm: Lessening Impacts and Speeding Recovery”
- Jul 30, 2014 : HEARING: “GSA Tenant Agencies: Challenges and Opportunities in Reducing Costs of Leased Space”
- Jul 15, 2014 : ROUNDTABLE: Policy Discussion on GSA Leasing Program: Examining Ways to Streamline and Reduce Costs
- May 21, 2014 : HEARING: “Examining the Federal Protective Service: Are Federal Facilities Secure?”
- Apr 3, 2014 : HEARING: Disaster Mitigation: Reducing Costs and Saving Lives
- Dec 4, 2012 : Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure Hearing on “A Review of the Preparedness, Response To and Recovery From Hurricane Sandy”
- Sep 20, 2012 : Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management Markup on “Public Buildings Reform Act of 2012”
- Aug 16, 2012 : FIELD HEARING: Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management Hearing on “California’s Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta: Planning and Preparing for Hazards and Disasters”
- Aug 6, 2012 : FIELD HEARING: Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management Hearing on “Sitting on Our Assets: The Vacant Federal Courthouse in Miami”
- Aug 1, 2012 : Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure Hearing on “GSA: A Review of Agency Mismanagement and Wasteful Spending -- Part 2”