Water Resources Development Act of 2020
In December 2020, the bipartisan Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2020 was signed into law. This legislation—which the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee has developed and passed on a bipartisan and biennial basis since 2014—is critical to all 50 states, territories, and Tribal communities. WRDA 2020 included key provisions to invest in our ports, harbors and inland waterways; build more resilient communities; and ensure that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers carries out projects in an economically and environmentally responsible manner.
In addition, WRDA 2020 successfully authorized the construction of all 46 Reports of the Chief of Engineers that had been studied and transmitted to Congress since the last WRDA was signed into law. This was a record number of Chief’s Reports, almost matching the number of projects authorized in WRDA 2016 and 2018 combined.
As we prepare for WRDA 2022, our committee will be working to ensure that WRDA 2020 is quickly and fully implemented as Congress intended.
Further information from the Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment:
- Mar 19, 2021 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Announce Subcommittee Hearing on the Status of WRDA 2020 Implementation
- Dec 21, 2020 : DeFazio, Graves, Napolitano, and Westerman Applaud Passage of Bipartisan Water Resources Development Act of 2020 in Omnibus Legislation
- Dec 8, 2020 : VIDEO: Chair DeFazio Manages Floor Debate on the Water Resources Development Act of 2020
- Dec 8, 2020 : T&I Committee Leaders Applaud House Passage of Bipartisan Water Resources Development Act of 2020
- Jul 29, 2020 : U.S. House of Representatives Passes Bipartisan Water Resources Development Act of 2020
- Jul 15, 2020 : Bipartisan WRDA 2020 Voted Favorably Out of Committee, Heads to House Floor for a Vote