Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials
The Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines and Hazardous Materials has jurisdiction over the economic and safety regulation of railroads and the agencies that administer those regulations. Economic regulation is administered by the five-member Surface Transportation Board (STB). This independent agency also has the authority to address national emergencies as they affect the nation’s rail transportation system.
The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) is responsible for administering and overseeing railroad safety laws, railroad infrastructure and development programs, performing research and developing technology, and has federal oversight of Amtrak.
Amtrak is the nation’s major provider of intercity passenger rail service. Also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, Amtrak was established by law in 1970 and assumed the responsibility from private sector railroads for providing passenger rail services. The Subcommittee continues to oversee efforts to increase efficiency and improve service in Amtrak’s operations.
The Subcommittee also has jurisdiction over the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, which is responsible for providing regulations and safety oversight of pipelines and pipeline facilities, as well as overseeing the transportation of hazardous materials.
Railroad retirement benefits and unemployment systems, as well as rail labor relations also fall under the jurisdiction of this subcommittee.
Issues and agencies under the jurisdiction of the Railroads, Pipelines and Hazardous Materials Subcommittee include:
- Economic regulation of railroads
- Surface Transportation Board (STB)
- Railroad safety, including safety practices, equipment, and reporting
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Railroad development programs, such as high-speed rail research and development
- Rail infrastructure programs
- Rail security
- Amtrak Inspector General
- Northeast Corridor Infrastructure and Operations Advisory Commission
- Railroad retirement (regarding the benefit aspects) and unemployment
- Railroad Retirement Board, which administers the retirement and unemployment programs unique to railroads
- Railroad Retirement Board Inspector General
- National Railroad Retirement Investment Trust
- Railway Labor Act
- The National Mediation Board, which administers the Railway Labor Act
- Federal Employers’ Liability Act, which is the railroad worker-compensation statute
- Hazardous materials transportation
- Pipeline transportation safety
- Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- Feb 1, 2023 : Ranking Member Larsen Statement from Hearing on the State of Transportation
- Feb 1, 2023 : The State of Transportation Infrastructure and Supply Chain Challenges
- Jan 31, 2023 : Graves, Larsen Announce T&I Subcommittee Rosters for the 118th Congress
- Jan 27, 2023 : Ranking Member Larsen Welcomes Democratic T&I Committee Members for the 118th Congress
- Nov 30, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio and Payne, Jr. Commend House Vote to Avert a Catastrophic Rail Shutdown
- Nov 30, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio and Payne, Jr. Statements on Legislation to Prevent a Catastrophic Railroad Shutdown
- Nov 2, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Pallone, Payne, Jr., and Rush Urge PHMSA to Continue Implementation of Pipeline Safety Laws
- Sep 29, 2022 : Chair DeFazio Statement from Hearing on the Transformative Impact of Legislation Passed by the 117th Congress
- Sep 15, 2022 : Chair DeFazio Statement on Tentative Rail Agreement
- Sep 15, 2022 : Rail Service Challenges and the Impact on Agriculture
- Sep 14, 2022 : POSTPONED: Chairs DeFazio, Payne, Jr., Scott, Costa Announce Joint Hearing on Rail Service Challenges and the Impact on Agriculture
- Aug 3, 2022 : Support for Freight Rail Shipping Fair Market Act Grows as Shippers Demand Relief from Costly, Unfair Practices
- Aug 2, 2022 : Chairs Payne, Jr., DeFazio, Scott, and Costa Introduce Freight Rail Shipping Fair Market Act
- Jul 19, 2022 : Chair DeFazio Statement from Hearing on Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act Implementation
- Jul 15, 2022 : Chair DeFazio Announces Full Committee Hearing on the Implementation of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act