Water Resources Development Act of 2022
In December 2022, the bipartisan Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2022 was signed into law as Division H, Title LXXXI of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2023 (Public Law 117-263). With its enactment, WRDA 2022—the fifth WRDA in a row to move since 2014—continues the bipartisan tradition of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure to move a new WRDA every two years to respond to local water resource needs. WRDAs are critical to all 50 states, territories and Tribal communities. WRDA 2022 included key provisions to invest in our ports, harbors and inland waterways; to build more resilient communities; and to ensure that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) carries out projects in an economically and environmentally responsible manner.
In addition, WRDA 2022 successfully authorized the construction of all 25 Reports of the Chief of Engineers that had been studied and transmitted to Congress since the last WRDA was signed into law, as well as authorized close to 100 new feasibility studies for future water resources development projects, and 12 studies to modify existing projects. WRDA 2022 also authorized a historic total of $6.58 billion in Environmental Infrastructure assistance for community-driven projects, and state-wide Environmental Infrastructure programs carried out in partnership with the Corps throughout the nation. Lastly, WRDA 2022 continued the tradition of strengthening America’s navigational capacity, ensuring our communities are resilient to the challenges posed by sea-level rise, extreme weather, drought, and other challenges posed by climate change, and increasing the coordination between the Corps and Tribal, minority, and economically disadvantaged communities.
As we prepare for WRDA 2024, our committee will be working to ensure that WRDA 2022 is quickly and fully implemented as Congress intended.
Dear Colleague: Development of a WRDA 2022
Dear Colleague: Member Request Submission Process for WRDA 2022
To submit your project, please find database instructions here.
Letter to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Implementation Priorities
- Jul 28, 2022 : Chair DeFazio Applauds Senate Passage of Water Resources Development Act of 2022
- Jun 8, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Applaud House Passage of Bipartisan Water Resources Development Act of 2022
- May 18, 2022 : WRDA 2022 Passes Out of Committee on a Bipartisan Vote, Heads to House Floor
- May 18, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio and Napolitano’s Opening Statements From Markup of the Water Resources Development Act
- May 17, 2022 : Committee Leaders Introduce Bipartisan Water Resources Development Act of 2022
- Mar 16, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Statements from Members’ Day Hearing for WRDA 2022
- Mar 11, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Announce Members’ Day Hearing on Proposals for WRDA 2022
- Feb 8, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Statements from Hearing on Stakeholder Priorities for WRDA 2022
- Feb 4, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Announce Hearing on Stakeholder Priorities for WRDA 2022
- Jan 12, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Statements from Hearing on the Administration’s Priorities for WRDA 2022
- Jan 7, 2022 : Chairs DeFazio, Napolitano Announce Hearing on the Administration’s Priorities for WRDA 2022